Sunday 19 March 2017

Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Demands and requirements of each task
The thriller required a lot more time and effort than the preliminary. Without sufficient research I wouldn't have had the knowledge to understand how to produce the kind of production i was making. The thriller also forced me to think about many various aspects of media. Where the preliminary task allowed me to make mistakes and understand basic techniques, the thriller required more adept techniques and precision. 

Pre-production planning and research
The preliminary task didn't require very much planning at all, and the little planning the group did wasn't very thorough compared to the hours of research spent on the thriller opening. The shoots for the thriller were made less impromptu by creating storyboards, blog posts on fonts and sounds, and by having shooting schedules for organisation. This not only taught me a lot about the positive effects of planning and organisation, but also helped me develop the skills necessary. Finding a location was one of the tasks that took a lot of thought for the thriller, our original choice wasn't safe or easy to get to, so we decided on a location that was suitable and easy to get to, in contrast, finding a location for the preliminary task involved walking around school looking for locations that worked for us, setting up the camera, and filming on the spot. This got me to think about the next time i'm making a film, and how i should make sure to research a wide range of locations to ensure I can film in a place I'm happy with.

Production (the shoot)
Although production was very complex, it was made easier due to the fact that we had developed the skills necessary to film from our preliminary task, some shots would be hard to obtain without sufficient practise. The preliminary taught me that watching back footage on the camera on set and re-shooting sections is important as when it gets to the edit, you don't want to be short of content to work with reshooting directly affects the final product as when editing you can use the shots of highest quality. The preliminary also taught me the importance of the 180 degree rule, in my thriller i was sure to follow it during the walking sequence as i was aware of the impact it would have on the quality of the product.

Post production (the edit)
The preliminary task taught me a lot about premier pro than I already knew, which improved my speed and precision when it came to the thriller edit. In turn, this allowed for a more professional looking product, with smooth visual and audio transitions. Editing is something i enjoy and the preliminary was harder for me to edit as I wasn't comfortable wit the software, without doing the preliminary, my thriller would have been less together and not as smooth. The thrillers soundtrack was easy to manage due to the work i did on the preliminary, it taught me how to change volume using keyframes for certain sections. The music used also helped me to cancel out background noises.

2 comments:

  1. You identify some aspects of the projects and progression here, Keiran, although this blogpost would benefit from:
    - Use of stills (or even printscreens) to identify the way you've developed your skills and production techniques between the two productions
    - Printscreens of some of your planning to support the discussion (printscreen from blogposts)
    - A summary conclusion that identifies the main skills you've developed between the two projects.

    Label as G321 Evaluation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's your Question 2, Kieran? It should be on here by now.

    ReplyDelete